Tips on customisation of search results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Tips on customisation of search results

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    philipfarmer
    philipfarmer
    Participant

Hi,

Id like some tips on how i can customise the html output of the search results – so changing the look and feel from the thumbnail image and search icon onhover – to something more specific. I love the live search output function but i need to display different category colours relating to the search results. I assume i can add php tags to do this – so if a result is a person for example that will have a category of people associated which in-turn has a pink-background which id like to add behind the image. the same goes for events or cities, id like to have orange/green backgrounds with their results. please see the jpegs attached. I hope this makes sense.

working site: http://www.humancities.eu/hc2015/

look forward to your response

thanks
    Philip

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    philipfarmer
    philipfarmer
    Participant

Any ideas? Here’s the existing search output.. and the above jpeg is what id like it to look like

Philip

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    philipfarmer
    philipfarmer
    Participant

Any suggestions at all.. Maybe my request is not clear enough? Please advise?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Sorry about not answering sooner.

I was waiting for version 4.0 to be approved on codecanyon – which makes result templating possible.

You will be able to make a few changes, but there are of course limitations, because the main result structure should remain the same – as there are javascript handlers attached to them, and too drastical changes might result in a malfunctioning search bar.

You will find the result template files in the ajax-search-pro/includes/views/results/ folder.

I think you are looking for the vertical.php file in that folder. It’s the template file for the a vertical result. On the beginning of that file you will find some advices and descriptions about accessible variables and stuff.

First of all, make a copy of this file, so if something goes wrong, you can still revert it.

This file is called every time a result is generated. The “$r” variable is an object holding some information about the current result. It has the following structure:

$r->id – the ID of the post, term or any result object [always set]
    $r->content_type – the content type (post, page, term etc..) [always set]
    $r->title – the title of the result [can be empty]
    $r->content – the content of the result [can be empty]
    $r->author – the author name [can be empty]
    $r->date – the date [can be empty]
    $r->post_type – the post type (if it’s a post) [can be empty]
    $r->ttid – unfiltered list of terms related to the post in [deprecated, do not use]

and of course you can use any available wordpress or plugin function here.

I’m currently working on a new demo, features update and new documentation. After finishing those, there will be a new knowledge base article about this new templating system as well.

If you have experience in php/html/CSS I think you will be able to use it for now 😉

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.