user search result on search results page

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support user search result on search results page

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #40478
    ahmarketing
    ahmarketing
    Participant

    hello,
    I’m running into an issue with user search results on the search results page (so after you clicked on the search icon or hit the “enter” key)
    there no user image and no title (name) is shown and clickable elements lead to the search page itself

    in the search dropdown the user is shown correctly (avatar, title, link etc.) – so the issue is “only” with the results page
    in the search settings the option to override the default wordpress search results is turned on (search behaviour -> magnifier and return actions)
    but maybe I’m missing something else?

    here’s a screenshot where you can see the wrong search results page and the correct ajax search result next to each other: https://www.screencast.com/t/wE5ZyRpI

    to replicate it you can type “gumm” into the search – this should return a user called “vfl gummersbach”

    if you need anything feel free to let me know. the test site provided was created specifically to check the issue – so there’s no real data, therefore feel free to change any settings if needed.

    thanks and best regards,
    alex

    • This topic was modified 2 months ago by ahmarketing .
    #40481
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi Alex,

    Generally results pages are not prepared to handle results other than custom post types (posts, pages etc..). Ajax Search Pro bypasses this by converting the user results to “fake” posts with a fake ID with the title and the URL set to the original result.
    Most of the themes can handle that, but there are cases where it is simply not possible to do without making changes to the core theme files.

    If you have FTP access and a child theme active, I can take a look at the theme file structure to see if there is anything I can do about it.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #40484
    ahmarketing
    ahmarketing
    Participant

    hello Ernest,
    thanks a lot for your speedy reply.

    I’ve added ftp credentials so you can have a look at the theme files – thanks for checking.

    just wondering: are there plans to have an independent search results page, fully controlled by the plugin, in the future? so that there would be complete control over the functionality/results and no need to worry about theme compatibility?

    thanks again and best regards,
    alex

    #40493
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Yes, there are, but it is very problematic in general. Rigth now you can actually “hack” the search results shortocde to a custom page as the results page. A future solution will be very similar, probably using a shortcode on a page.

    I will check the theme files in a minute, see if I can do anything about it.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #40495
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Okay, I have logged in via FTP and checked the source.

    Good news, the theme is very nicely structured, I have also found the code responsible for the output and added some modificatrions to fetch the results fields from ajax search pro. I also added a conditional for the meta fields (like date and author) to only display on items where applicable.

    The changes are within this file: public_html\wp-content\themes\jnews-child\class\Module\Block\Block_3_View.php

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #40687
    ahmarketing
    ahmarketing
    Participant

    thanks a lot for checking on the theme.
    on the test site the results were looking really good, unfortunately when moving the file over to a different site with more content it’s causing some issues (I updated the credentials so you have access to that site now).

    example, to replicate:
    when you type in “wta” as a search then the search results all have the same image, title and excerpt
    if I disable the file (currently renamed to DISABLED at the end) then the correct post results show up. but then the user result is off (the original problem)…

    screenshot with the file enabled and disabled side by side: https://www.screencast.com/t/z6exg8lm5

    hopefully just a minor problem that can get sorted out.

    thanks again,
    alex

    #40708
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Sure, it was indeed just a small adjustmend. However I had to make a direct change to the plugin core code this time. I will include this change in the upcoming release too, so you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.