Gateway Timeout

This topic contains 41 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brent Wallace Brent Wallace 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I think I have managed to get around that as well by a quick edit in the functions.php file, in the previous code. I’ve made a comparision script to check for duplicate item URLs.
    Hopefully they should be gone now.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I don’t know what it is but my entire site was down again when I tried to logged in to check it just a few minutes ago. There was NO CONTENT on any of the pages! I immediately logged in with filezilla, changed the name of your plugin from ajax-search-pro to 111ajax-search-pro and everything came back.

Please take a look again please.

Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I’m going to take a guess here, because it absolutely does not make sense how the post contents are disappearing over time, and how the search is connected to this in any way, as there is no single line of code in there making any kind of changes to the posts content.

Is it perhaps possible, that the issue is connected to maybe one of the caching solutions, and whenever a plugin is disabled, the cache is re-built automatically, and the problem stops? Since ajax search pro is first in the plugins list due to it’s folder name, obviously it was disabled as first, and since the problem was resolved, it was marked as the cause. This would also explain how the issue comes back over time, and at the point of failure disabling a plugin just forces the cache to re-initalize, solving the issue.

The only way to prove this, is to somehow re-create the issue, and this time, instead of disabling the search plugin, disable few other active plugins by renaming the folders – and if that helps, the problem is indeed something else.

I’m not saying this to shift the blame somewhere else, but I honestly can’t see how it is possible for the contents to just randomly disappear, at random times, and even stay that way (!?) after. And on top of that the problem does not re-occur even after when the search is re-activated, it’s more than suspicious.

I’ve even checked the server error logs, but there is almost nothing in there, except for some empty lines, and this one particular path re-occuring:

/home/brentsda/public_html/brentwallace.net/wp-content/uploads/db-backup/Marta_Howell_Designer_Jewelry_2017_05_06_1494041602_1819af6_wpdb.zip

..this is related to some kind of database back-up plugin, but there is no error message, so this should not be an issue at all. I think it’s unrelated.

One other very significant thing I have noticed, is that the memory limit might be set to a very low value in the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

Considering how many plugins you have active, I believe 128 MB of memory is almost definitely not enough, and can actually cause similar issues you are experiencing (without any errors even).

I would recommend changing that to at least 512M or even 1024M to be absolutely sure:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1024M' );

I usually initially set it to 1024M, and then wait a few days, and lower it 512M then again wait a few days and lower it again… until some kind of error occurs, then I use the last working value times 2. Usually it comes to 512 or in rare cases 256 if I only use a few plugins.

This is the best answer I can give you, as there is no indication of what I could or should change in the plugin, nor any suspicious code best to my knowledge.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I upped the memory limit to 1024.
    The only other thing that happened yesterday was that WordPress auto updated to the latest version.

Thank you,
    Brent

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

The search is not working. I have not changed anything for quite some time, since we last fixed things. I am using v4.11, I don’t see any other newer updates.

Appreciate you looking at it.

Thanks,
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

Sorry for the late response, I have been on a short vacation with my family.

As I responded earlier to your mails with a video, the search is working on my end. It is very likely only a cache related issue.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Ernest would you please do a search for adhd and tell me how many entries you get?
    I only get 1 (one) and there are multiple! I don’t believe that it’s searching the menu.
    Thanks,
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I’m getting one as well. Has the code I earlier provided been moved? Or has there been any other change? (like plugin update etc..)

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I don’t know what the issue is. WP has updated as you know. No new plugins. I’ve actually been deleting ones that I have had around for testing. I’m sure that some of the plugins have auto-updated.

Please login and take a look if you would please. I have at least a dozen users now who need this. This is also one of the important features of launching this on a bigger scale, which I am ready to do.

Please let me know ASAP. I do know though that it’s been this way a while and I thought it was just a caching issue.

Thanks,
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

My apologies for the late response. While I do work 7 days a week, the weekends I usually spend on development, as proper support can be time consuming. Please allow up to 48 hours (including only weekdays) to answer, as stated in the support terms, I get lots of responses every day, and I have to treat them equally 🙂

I rarely make exceptions, but I have looked at the source to see if the code is missing, but it looks like it’s still there perfectly in tact (as far as I remember it). That actually is very good news, as I don’t always keep track of customizations.

The issue was on the index table options panel, where the allowed statuses column was filled in incorrectly: https://i.imgur.com/HJCz0z7.png
    The entered values were:

public, private

..which is not correct. Post status ‘public’ does not exists in WordPress, it’s correctly spelled ‘publish’. Don’t ask me why, it’s not logical in my opinion, but it’s something WordPress specific I cannot affect. It took me a good while to spot that mistake, but when I corrected it to

publish, private

..and re-created the index table, it seems to have solved the problem. If there were no other changes, it should be back to the state it was before.

———————————————————-
    For future refence, the custom code used in the functions.php file is this:

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hey Ernest you’re the best! Thank you. I’m away from the office but the search seems to be okay from what I see. ??

Thanks again!
    Brent

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest. I hope you’re having a great New Years Day!

We talked before about searching iframed content. At the time I don’t remember what the decision was about it. What I need to do is search my iframed content that is being displayed in a lightbox. How can I go about that? I use a plugin called Responsive Lightbox Pro for this. The content is only visible when the lightbox is activated. Can we add this to the search settings? Do I need to add to the functions file?

Thank you,
    Brent

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.