Gateway Timeout

This topic contains 41 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brent Wallace Brent Wallace 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I have made another change, to detect if the ‘://’ string appears in the link, if not then it’s probably an invalid URL. Please check if that indeed excludes incorrect URLs.

You can either change the original limit on the Genereral Options -> Limits panel: https://i.imgur.com/2qK4h3G.png
    ..or enable the load more results feature on the Layout Options -> Results Layout panel: https://i.imgur.com/XODBh54.png

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I’ve been going crazy with support at my server because my site crashed! I left for a convention on Wednesday morning and I am without a computer, only my iPad and iPhone. As of Tuesday night when I went to bed everything was fine. But then on Wednesday I had 404 errors all over the place on every page!

I’ve been chatting back and forth with support at SiteGround and we finally found out that the issue was your plugin. Once it was renamed everything was fine. That is after several restores of information. Anyway something happened when you made the last changes to the search plugin. My assumption is that it had to do with the http:// changes that you were trying. PLEASE DO NOT RESTORE YOUR PLUGIN! Do you think you know what it might be? I believe that SiteGround renamed your plugin to make things work again. Please respond and let me know your thoughts as my hands are still tied with not being at my desktop. I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MY INFORMATION!

Thank you,
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

That is extremely strange, given that I have not made any modifications to the plugin file whatsoever. The only thing I added was the filter function to the functions.php file in the child theme directory – but then again, it is exectued only when parsing through the search results, I honestly don’t see how it is possible for it to affect anything else at all. But, I have seen some strange things before, so I’m not ruling this one out. I will test the same code on my test servers, to see if I can re-create it.

The only explanation I can think of, is that something else might have changed (another plugin updated, etc..) and created a conflict during the process. It’s just a guess, but I don’t see any other way.

As I saind before: Please always have a back-up of everything, in your case I would recommend having back-ups before updating any of the plugin. Using over 90 plugins there is a very good chance of getting conflicts whenever updating them. I’ve been working on this search for over 5 years, and I have seen some careless programming, and I also made mistakes. Unfortunately it happens, even though I’m testing every release for over a week.

Let me know when you are back, and I will try to get to the botton of it to see where issue is. I will do a line-by-line debugging through the plugin code, to check where the issue originates. If the search is the cause, I will definitely find the problematic part.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hey thanks Ernest.

It was really strange because each post/page had a 404 error only on the content. The header, footer and sidebar displayed properly. Very weird. So I don’t know but it had me pretty scared.

By the way, which plugin would you use for backups?

Thanks,
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I’m currently using an automatic full server back-up tool on my hosting provider (digital ocean). In case any non-wordpress related content or configuration gets corrupted. It’s only for catastrophic events.

But, for migrating and wordpress related content back-up I usually use the UpdraftPlus – Backup/Restore plugin. It has separate back-ups for files, attachments, db etc.., it works very well in my opinion. I don’t use it very often, usually when I’m about to update multiple plugins or make radical changes to the site. It’s pretty neat, as you can download the back-ups and restore them via FTP as well, in case of a full site failure.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I’m back from my trip and i’d like to get this search plugin to work correctly now if we can. Siteground had to restore an older version of my site so I’m not quite sure where we are at with your plugin. Other than they said they disabled it, I believe they may have renamed it but I’m not sure. Fortunately I was able to restore my CSS changes just now and that is all good!

The plugin was working fine until the last change that you made to the functions file to not allow the search results to show up for anchor tags that use the # tag. I believe that it what broke the site because all that showed up in the content of every page was a 404. The prior version seemed to work fine before that change.

Please let me know what you think. Greatly appreciate your help again.
    Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I still don’t see how the last code affects the site in any way, but I’m going to assume it’s the reason, and look for a different solution.

Let me know if you have everything backed up, and I can make the changes via FTP.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hey Ernest.

I finally got legged back in. I’m not sure if you’ve been getting my emails or not.

I have auto backups going. Can we try again? As I said before I believe we just need to take a step backwards with the functions.php file.

Brent

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Brent,

I have restored the plugin, and activated it. Funny enough, the old modifications were still there in the functions.php file in the theme directory, including the last one. I’ve noticed it once the plugin was already active, but it didn’t cause any error pages or missing page messages.

Nevertheless, I’ve made a change to that code, a different approach, but I have still no idea what exactly the cause was, as it did not re-appear once the plugin was activated, and I believe it should have. So far it looks like it’s working, I don’t see any error messages.

Once thing I have noticed is, that there is some sort of database optimization plugin, which does some changes on the database table contents, including the ajax search pro database tables. If possible, I would recommend turning it off for the ajax search pro tables. The search instance information stored there is serialized and very fragile. Any sort of unexpected change could cause data corruption, and while I designed the plugin to handle those situations, but I still do not recommend that. I don’t think it actually does any harm at all, but since the issue is still unexplained, I want to rule out any possible 3rd party plugin involvement.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

I removed the tables as you requested from the optimization plugin. Things seem to be okay EXCEPT when I search for something and hit the “ENTER” key on my keyboard the search results go to a search results page and things are screwy.

Thanks,
    Brent

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Ernest after closer examination this is NOT pulling information from the menu. ?

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Here’s an example of the search not finding items:

If you search for: juice plus

It doesn’t show the following pages in the main menu:
    Healthy Living Revolution • Juice Plus (http://brentwallace.com/healthy-living-revolution-juice-plus/)
    One Simple Change • Juice Plus (http://brentwallace.com/one-simple-change-juice-plus/)
    Shred10™ Program • Juice Plus (http://brentwallace.com/shred10-juice-plus/)

It seems to pull some of the information but not all of it.

Thank you.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Missing items from the main menu
    It’s simply because of the default search logic. It prioritizes other results, and those are not visible. Since you have a decent size of results set (over 1000 items), I would recommend changing the keyword logic to ‘AND’. You can do that on the General Options -> Logics & Behavior panel: https://i.imgur.com/znajlF3.png

It is also possible to prioritize certain post types over others. So if you prefer nav menu items to show over other post types, you can change that on the General Options -> Ordering panel, by enabling the post type ordering, and dragging the nav_menu_item to the top of the list: https://i.imgur.com/A5eltbE.png

This is only my recommendation, but experimenting with these two options will very likely give you the desired ordering. For more information you can read the following chapters in the documentation:
    Keyword logics & Keyword logics with examples
    Primary, secondar ordering, post type ordering and mixed content ordering

Redirection to the results page
    The plugin does not affect the results page design or layout at all, because it cannot do that. That page is usually controlled by the search.php file in the currently active theme/child theme directory. Ajax search pro can only push the items to be displayed on that page, but the display process is up to the theme.

You can actually turn of the redirection if you don’t need it, on the General Options -> Logic & Behavior panel: https://i.imgur.com/iwcrKq1.png

For more information about redirections, you can check this section in the documentation:
    Magnifier and Return button events

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hey Ernest. I pretty much have it! If you wouldn’t mind taking a quick look I’d appreciate it.
    I believe the only thing I haven’t figured out is some duplication. Any idea on how to fix that?
    Example: If you search “Juice Plus” there will be a long list and there are some duplications. I didn’t have images for many of the URL’s so I added a default audio image. Not all of them are audio but… I don’t know if you could add different images based on the type of link that the URL goes to? audio, pdf, video would be great.

http://juiceplusrep.com/brentwallace

Thank you again for your help!
    Brent

Brent Wallace
    Brent Wallace
    Participant

Hi Ernest.

How can we keep duplicates from showing up in the search?
    I have items that appear in both the menu and a post as an example. Can we add to our functions file?

Thank you,
    Brent

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.