Matching Algorithm and Checkbox Selections

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Matching Algorithm and Checkbox Selections

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DlSegal
    DlSegal
    Participant

Hi,

I have two questions regarding Ajax Search Pro.

Q1:
    I’m trying to understand the matching algorithm used by the Index Table search engine. I know that for the Regular Engine, the formula is:
    [field 1 relevance value] x [phrase occurence in field 1] +[field 2 relevance value] x [phrase occurrence in field 2]
    However, what is the formula used by the Index Table engine? Does it consider the number of occurrences multiplied by the weight, is it linear, or something else altogether?

Q2:
    How can Ajax Search Pro be configured so that when a user filters their search with checkboxes, the results page they are redirected to displays their selected checkboxes?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    David Segal

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi David,

A1:
    The regular engine does (can) not count the occurences, that is the main difference between the two.

The index table does consider the occurences multiplied by the weight for each field. Plus there is a non-linear modifier applied for the search term number, in case the either “OR”, “AND” or “AND with exact keyword matches” logic is selected. So it becomes:

[field 1 relevance] x [field 1 occurence count] x [RMOD] + [field 1 relevance] x [field 2 occurence count] x [RMOD] + …

where:

RMOD(c) = 10 – (c x 8); {c = 0 for the first word in the phrase}
    ..but when RMOD(c) < 1, then RMOD(c) = 1;
    ..so it’s 10, 2, 1, 1 …. meaning that the first phrase relevance is multiplied by 10, second by 2 and the rest by one. This formula might (probably will) change in the future.

A2:
    Unfortunately it is not yet possible to memorize the selects after redirecting. I has been requested, so it’s definitely coming in one of the upcoming versions 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

DlSegal
    DlSegal
    Participant

Hey Ernest,

First, thank you for the prompt and informative reply, it is very much appreciated. I have some follow up questions.

Q1: With regards to A2, do you have any sort of estimate as to a timeline – that is to say, are we looking at days, weeks, months (or longer)?

Q2: Is it possible to remove the settings and magnifier icons from the search form? There is an option to “hide” the magnifier icon, but it still seems to exist in the form.

Q3: Is it possible for the live results to display the post tag/category?

Again, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    David

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi David,

You are welcome!

Q1 – Possibly weeks. I’m usually releasing updates on a monthly basis, and one crucial with auto updates is already in halfway in preparation. That one should also contain this feature.

Q2 – Yes it is possible. For the setting icon go to the Frontend Search setting -> General panel and turn off the “Show search settings switch on the frontend?” option. For the magnifier you will need a custom CSS code:

.promagnifier {
        display:none;
    }

Q3 – There is no option for that, but with a custom code it’s possible. Check out this knowledge base article, it should help you with this: https://wp-dreams.com/knowledge-base/showing-the-category-titles-in-the-result-title/

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.