Search bar specifics and slowness

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search bar specifics and slowness

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Hello,

What I need to know is how to make the search more specific. For example we sell gaming consoles and accessories. When searching in the bar for an ‘xbox 360 controller’ we would like the actual xbox 360 controller to show. However instead of this, the first results are accessories for the controller, such as joy sticks, battery packs etc.

Further to this, the search bar is incredibly slow, when you type something into it, it takes around 10 seconds to load before bringing up any results, this is no good for users and leads to customers leaving the site.

If you could advise on how we can adjust this to be more specific, it would be appreciated. I have followed your videos on YouTube and tried increasing the performance and accuracy pools, however that did not seem to work.

Many thanks

Oliver

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

First, I would recommend swtiching to the index table engine (if you don’t use it already). This helps with both the accuracy and the performance greatly. That may as well resolve the ordering of the results – since I am seeing more keyword occurences on the controller pages.
    For further pefrormance improvements you can also try the suggestions on this documentation.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

Thank you for the update.

I have activate the index on products already as per the video.

Would it be possible for me to give you login details to the site so you can check it? You will also be able to see what I mean by the speed of things.

If so, please provide me with an email address I can use and I will create a user account for you.

Many thanks

Oliver

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thanks.

I found some configuration issues, and I corrected them. The main issue is, that the results that are showing up for “xbox 360 controller” are still different from what you would expect, because they are more relevant. Each has more keyword matches in the title, as well as in the content and in the taxonomy terms as well.

The only way I could achieve the expected behavior is by completely turning off the indexing in the titles. It seems to give more “expected” results, because a lot if items have repetitive keywords, which make them more relevant.
    It is far from perfect, but you should likely get more expected results now with a much better performance as well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Thank you that is great.

Is there any way to improve the speed of the search results? As still when searching it take 5 seconds for the results to drop down?

Also, could you do the same for xbox one, as you did for xbox 360? As for xbox one it is bringing up the accessories first rather than the controllers.

Many thanks

Oliver

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

With this setup this is the maximum performance, but it is possible to improve.

Also, could you do the same for xbox one, as you did for xbox 360? As for xbox one it is bringing up the accessories first rather than the controllers.
    I can’t do anything more – as the search already brings up the most relevant results possible. Those results have the most keywords matching on the same fields. If I change anything, it will break the others.

Perhaps I may recommend a different solution. There is a priority groups feature available. If you want, you can prioritize certain results over others – for example items from specific category for specific cases. This might be useful to you, since you need the less relevant keyword matches to be shown before the more relevant ones.
    For that to work properly, please adjust the keyword logic like this: https://i.imgur.com/YUfZvkj.png

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

How can we improve it further regarding the load time? As it is no good frankly, if you were a consumer searching on that bar, I think you would leave the site before it had loaded. If you can advise how we can improve this please.

I will look into the priority groups also.

Many thanks

Oliver

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Sure! If you change the keyword logic as I suggested before like this, it should greatly optimize the load time.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Hello,

How do the properties and logic and behaviour work together? I am unable to navigate to the screen shot for logic and behaviour that you sent.

Please advise how to get there so I can adjust the necessary.

Many thanks

Oliver

baxtroslimited05
    baxtroslimited05
    Participant

Hello Ernest,

I have tried to add in a priority group, I saved it on both tabs where it gives the option. I then went to the site and then returned back to the page, and the rule no longer existed.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong here?

And would it be possible for you to input the rule and do the necessary to make the search engine faster please? As you are the expert and it would save a lot of time.

Many thanks

Oliver

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Sure. I made two priority groups, one for the xbox 360 controller, and one for the xbox one controller searches. I also changed the search logic according to the screenshot I sent.
    You should be getting a lot faster results now as well.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.