Slow Search Consultation?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    smittelstaedt09
    smittelstaedt09
    Participant

Our magazine site has about 39,000 posts and growing.
    Our search results are very slow, and my manager has pleaded with me to find an alternative search system to make us more “google” fast.

My gut feeling is that I’m missing something in the config that could make AjaxSearchPro faster.
    I’ve spent a fair amount of time drilling through your documentation screen by screen…and I guess I don’t know what I don’t know. 🙂

A) Is your plugin capable of efficiently handling 40,000 to 50,000 posts or am I asking too much of your awesome plugin?

B) Are you available to consult/check the performance?
    I can set up a super-admin account in our DEV site for testing.

Search queries tracked: 154557
    Average request runtime: 5.930 s
    Average request peak memory usage: 25.71 MB
    Last request runtime: 15.000 s
    Last request peak memory usage: 34 MB

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

In your case I would strongly recommend using the index table engine feature. That alone will make the search a lot faster, especially if you have a lot of posts to search for. That number of posts should not be an issue, we are regularly testing on a database with 100 000 posts.

Once you have configured and generated the index, then make sure to to enable it, and that’s it. After that your seach queries should be a lot faster.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

smittelstaedt09
    smittelstaedt09
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response.
    That’s good to know you’ve tested up to 100K posts…very encouraging.

Yes, I’ve had the index table set up from the start.
    Total keywords: 16644395

Search > Engine > Index Table selected.
    As per your tutorial: https://documentation.ajaxsearchpro.com/index-table.

I had Live Search enabled on Enter, but users requested a separate page to link to.
    Now, it hesitates for 5-10 seconds before opening the search page.

We’re on a decent dedicated server, but we should probably super-size that too.

Any other ideas?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

On a dedicated sever I don’t think this should be an issue, our tests were conducted on a single core virtual machine with 1G ram only for 100 000 posts.

There might be something else at play here. When I try to visit the default results page without triggering ajax search pro override (simply adding “?s=” to the main URL), I am getting a critical error report on the bottom of the page: https://i.imgur.com/MFugMhI.png
    This may indicate something, maybe a memory limit issue in general, or simply a programming error or a bottleneck somewhere. It does not trigger every time, so that may indicate only a memory limit problem. First, try to increase the PHP memory limit a little bit to see if that error disappears permanently.

After that, if there is no change, the you can add temporary FTP and back-end access, and I will try to debug throught the plugin code to see if I can find anything.
    First, I will programmatically disable the actual search query within ajax search pro, to see if that makes any difference when the results page loads. If not, then the issue is caused by something else, but if it is faster, then I will go through the code line-by-line to see where it’s stuck.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

smittelstaedt09
    smittelstaedt09
    Participant

Thank you very much for your time.
    I will update the DEV clone of our site this weekend so you can check it.

I don’t see a WP error on the site.
    https://thenewamerican.com/search/?s=

I’ve turned LiveSearch back on for now until I can improve the search results landing page.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Okay, let me know when the update is ready, and I will check on the dev.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

smittelstaedt09
    smittelstaedt09
    Participant

RE: https://wp-dreams.com/forums/topic/results-are-loading-super-slow/

The Motor.com search seems to be working great now.
    How did they fix it? The support thread story left me hanging.
    https://www.motor.com/?s=diesel&asp_s=diesel

Our site search speed is nasty, but I haven’t gone through the step of disabling plugins to look for the culprit.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I don’t recall the exact details, but some sort of custom code was the issue. If I remember correctly, they wanted to make chages to the query, which then ended up looping infinitely. Once the code was removed, everything went butter smooth.

This issue looks very imilar, but the exact cause is the question. Everything seems to work all right, until one point the process just hangs, and there are no more details in the front-end error console.

If you can add temporary FTP and back-end details, I can probably get to the bottom of it very quickly via code inspection.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

One very interesting thing is, that after the first batch of results everything seems to load just fine, within 1 second: https://i.imgur.com/Uj0Twmg.png
    That already narrows the issue to the very first query – maybe a query argument, a POST variable or something else may trigger something on the server/firewall.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

smittelstaedt09
    smittelstaedt09
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.