Update URL when searching

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant

Hi, Ernest.
    First of all, let me say I’m a big fan of your plugin. It’s just amazing. Your hard work is felt and definitely worthwhile.

But I’ve got one major problem with your plugin: the fact that it won’t change the URL when searching and filtering. I saw in this post that someone had already asked you for it, and it gave me hope since you said you could add this to the upcoming release. So I wanted to add my voice here because it is quite critical for me. I renewed my support just to tell you that.

I’m using your plugin with the Elementor post widget, and this creates two major issues:
    1) When you start a search or filter and then go into some post, you can’t go back to the results you reached. Everything resets. Same thing when you search and browse pages. You can’t return to the same page.
    2) When you search or filter and then navigate to the next page, you don’t start at the top of the page. This means you have to scroll down to the pagination button and then scroll back up to see the new results. And it gets worse on mobile since the posts are in one column, which creates a long list of posts. Every time you reach the end of the results and want to go to the next page, you have to scroll the long way up yourself. An action that users are usually unfamiliar with.

Both of these problems significantly harm the user experience.
    I hope this is something that can be fixed without getting you into too much trouble.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you very much for supporting us!

This is on the upcoming features list 🙂 I will try to somehow make it happen, at least partially if possible. With Elementor this is a bit problematic, but I hope I find a suitable solution.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant

Great, I’ll be waiting patiently for your next update.
    I really hope you can make it work with Elementor as well.

All the best.

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant

Another thing I noticed is that when you search or filter and then go to the next page, the URL doesn’t change. So if, for example, you go into a post on the third page and click the back button, you go back to the first page, not where you were.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Can you add temporary FTP and back-end details? I may need to debug these issues directly.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant
    Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Don’t worry 🙂 It just took a bit more time as I expected to debug this. In the meantime I answered some other simpler queries.

I have found a few issues, I think I managed to patch them all for now. The main problem was a “timing” issue, where the browser states were set too early, and it made it work all incorrectly. There was also an issue with the cache, that caused the issue with clicking on the “all” button.

The browser forward/back is not going to be perfect though. Programming the states and switching back and forth is very tricky. For the most part it should work now though.

Make sure to clear your browser cache to see the changes. I will of course make sure to include these in the upcoming release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Amit250
    Amit250
    Participant

1) The issue with clicking on the “all” button now works great.

2) Like you said the browser forward/back is still not perfect. The main problem for me is still the fact that if you click on a post on the second page and then click back, you go back to the first page. Hope you find a solution to this in the future.

3) What about the reload issue when clicking the pagination? Is it possible to make the page reload, or at least make the browser go back up automatically when clicking the pagination buttons? Once again, it’s really inconvenient to use, especially on mobile.

4) Another problem I discovered just now is when I order the posts randomly (from the Elementor post widget) and then go to the next pages, some posts display twice (or even more), while others do not appear at all. You can see it at the same link.

Appreciate your hard work. Thanks.
    Regards

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback!

3. I added some extra code to get over that. It should work on most devices, can you check?
    4. I assume you mean some extra sorting options on the elementor widget settings? I recommend not changing those whatsoever, the plugin will override the results either way. The best is to leave them as defaults to bypass any conflicts.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.