Search results layout

This topic contains 33 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Charly Vanni Charly Vanni 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant

Hi,

Is it possible to use the theme’s default search results page and layout instead of the plug-in’s options? I’d like the results to display as a page. I’ve seen comments from 3 years ago saying that you’d look at doing it ‘soon’, but I couldn’t find any option to do so.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Charly

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Charly,

For the live search it is not possible unfortunately. It was indeed a planned feature for a long time, but due to the variety of themes and the lack of consistent development guidelines on them, it’s still not possible to implement this feature to work on most of them.

It is however possible to enable a search override feature, which allows displaying the search results found by the plugin on the results page: https://wpdreams.gitbooks.io/ajax-search-pro-documentation/content/behavior/results-page-override.html

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant

Thanks! I tried this, and it looked very promising (I don’t care so much about live search), but unfortunately my search results always come up with no results (my site uses Woocommerce results page) when this option is enabled (along with WC results page).

Would you know of any other particular steps I need to do?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

One thing about the WooCommerce results page is that it can only display products as results, and nothing else. So in case you have other types of results, like posts, pages, taxonomy terms, tags, categories, users etc.. those will definitely not display there. This is one possible cause.

Another thing I can think of, maybe the theme(or another plugin) has a built-in search override which will always override the results passed from ajax search pro, but it’s impossible to tell unless I’m able to see it.

It can be also as simple as something with the plugin configuration, but that I can’t tell either without seeing it. If you want, you can leave temporary back-end and FTP details, and I will check on the config, and debug though the code via FTP if needed.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

To clarify a few of your questions:

– My site is set to return products in search results, which works when Ajax Search is turned off.
    – When I enable another plug-in called SearchWP, I get the results in the standard theme page, so it seems to be possible to use that layout with a different search than the default theme search.

You can access the site here:

devsupport / Q78ghLp4#wL&H$JD^DHZDD4s

Thank you so much for offering to take a look!

Best
    Charly

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thanks for the details!

I have found a few issues with the configuration. First, certain taxonomy terms were assigned to be returned as products. As I mentioned earlier, the WooCommerce results page does not allow that, so I have disabled those https://i.imgur.com/gaFWpiO.png

I’ve also noticed, that the index table engine was set to be used, while it was not configured either to index products. I’ve switched back yet to the regular engine: https://i.imgur.com/mj6zdtM.png

This should have solved the problem for good, as the rest of the configuration is okay. However the WooCommerce results page does not allow override for some reason. It works fine if I choose the regular results page, but not with WooCommerce.
    I suspect this is either something in the theme files tempering with the results (as it has an own engine), or a yet unkown bug. Unfortunately I’m not able to re-create the issue on my test servers, so I have no clue yet.

Can you please add temporary FTP details, so I can debug through the override process to see where it fails? I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant

Ok thanks, the dev team is in Australia so hopefully it’ll get whitelisted before it expires. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you!

I’m able to log-in and see the files and everything, but it does not let me save any changes. Can you please check that as well?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant
    Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant

Please send me your new IP address once it renews just in case it expires before I can get this updated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Charly Vanni
    Charly Vanni
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.