Reply To: Index table results not as relevant as regular engine results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Index table results not as relevant as regular engine results Reply To: Index table results not as relevant as regular engine results

Ernest Marcinko
Ernest Marcinko
Keymaster

Hi!

The main difference between the regular and the index table engine logic-wise is that the index table engine can count the word occurrence and use it with relevance calculations. So if the word “university” occurs many times across some of the fields in that particular post, then it can turn out to be more relevant as something that has “university” in it’s title – depending on the relevance values as well.

Long story short, I think you want to adjust the Title weight value on the Relevance Options -> Index Table Engine panel: https://i.imgur.com/ttUUA8r.png
I suggest increasing it to “100” and adjusting the other values according to that. For example, if the title weight is set to 100 and the content weight is set to 10, then the phrase must occur roughly 10 or more times in the content of a post to be more relevant as when it occurs in another post in the title.
It’s not the exact calculation, as it involves other factors as well, but it follows a similar logic.

Currently there is no relation between single and plural words for three reasons:
– No reliable library exists to analyze the words and turn them into singular/plural
– Even if there was, I’m not sure how analyzing would affect the performance, but probably a lot
– The search query performance would drop because of the increased server overhead
Not to mention different languages. I’m not sure if I will ever be able to implement a reliable solution (it would be great though) to be honest with you. For these purposes I think the subscription based search plugins (like instant search+) might do a much better job, as they have an independent dedicated server running just for search queries – but of course those require to pay a monthly fee for that.

Best,
Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)