500 errors when activating or within hours of activating.

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support 500 errors when activating or within hours of activating.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Patrick Williams Patrick Williams 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13231
    Patrick Williams
    Patrick Williams
    Participant

    I love this search, when it works but I can’t get it to work for any amount of time and when it doesn’t work, it takes down my whole site with 500 errors. If this cannot be resolved I would like a refund.

    Previously, it would give me 500 errors upon activation. After uninstalling, removing the index file, reinstalling, I was able to get it to work for about 10 hours and then this morning it started giving me 500 errors against after I modified an unrelated page.

    My login info is above, please assist.

    #13232
    Patrick Williams
    Patrick Williams
    Participant

    BTW, I have two widgets with the shortcode saved in inactive widgets that you can use to test.

    Just move them to the sidebar. The widget is titled “Search Firms”

    #13233
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Thank you for the details, it helps me a lot!

    Unfortunately I’m not able to re-create the issue. I’ve activated the plugin, did a few test searches but everything looks okay so far. I’ve also checked the performance tracker, but the search processes are finished correctly within 0.15 seconds, the memory usage is also fine, around 1.5 MB.

    The only thing I noticed is that your local memory limit is set to 128M, which I believe is very low given that you have 23 plugins activated. This could lead to 500 errors very easily. The plugin only consumes around 2-5 MB of memory tops, but if the memory was low on the edge, it could have caused the problem.
    To get around this, I’ve added this line to the wp-config.php file in the root directory:

    ini_set('memory_limit','512M');

    I immediately noticed a slight performance upgrade on the back-end, so this might have been the issue.

    Another cause can be process limiting, especially if you are on a managed shared hosting environment. Shared hosts tend to have a concurrent process limit, usually around 20. This means that if more than 20 PHP processes are initiated within a short amount of time it will throttle the server, giving a temporary 500 error (for a few seconds or minutes).
    To prevent this process overflow I have changed the following option on the plug-in back-end: https://i.imgur.com/hVi1wTF.png
    This prevents the live search trigger until the ‘Return’ character is pressed, saving around 80% of processes initiated.

    If the issue was related to any of the above, these changes should resolve them.

    For more performance related tricks, you can check this documentation chapter: Fine tuning the search configuration

    In case you have any error logs or anything related available let me know, and I will look at them to see if there is any indication of an error within the plugin.
    Also, if there is a definite way of re-creating the problem, let me know as well, that will help a lot.

    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

    If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)


    #13241
    Patrick Williams
    Patrick Williams
    Participant

    Thanks. I will monitor it and reply if the errors stop popping up again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.