Erratic behaviour of search function

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Erratic behaviour of search function

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by synergy synergy 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    synergy
    synergy
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using Ajax Search Pro on a site that has Ultimate Member running. On the ‘User’ page that dynamically loads the logged in member profile info I have an area at the top of the page that contains an AdRotate plugin advert area.

This has all been working fine until I inserted the shortcode for an AdRotate Group advert into this advert space. Now when you click into the search box a new tab is opened with a link to one of the URL links that the AdRotate Group advert has programmed in. When I remove the group advert and place a shortcode for a single AdRotate advert into the page everything goes back to normal.

Having looked at the AdRotate setup it states that the Group option uses JQuery to dynamically load the group adverts without refreshing the page and this looks like the source of my problem.

I know that this could be an issue caused by the AdRotate plugins use of JQuery and hence falls into the 3rd party no support area but as both Ajax Search Pro and AdRotate are very popular plugins I would appreciate if you could advise regards the conflict and what I can do to rectify it?

I will also send this issue to the AdRotate support to get their take on the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you for the detailed description, it makes my work much easier.

So, I have looked at the issue, and I may have found the reason for the behavior as well, but unfortunately it’s very likely not related to the search at all. Basically, the AD link get’s randomly injected into the page to placed where I believe it is not supposed to, see this analysis: https://i.imgur.com/9A0URR1.png

It’s very likely due to a minor programatical error within the ad script, or it can be something with the configuration as well. I’m not familiar with how it works, but I’m guessing that the ads are being placed to certain positions on the page by the script. A small error within the part where this position gets retrieved could very well explain this behavior.

Essentially the issue is caused by these link tags injected to the page, which surround some content elements (including the search bar), and when clicking on the search, you actually click on a link that contain the search, therefore you get redirected.

Unfortunatly I don’t think I can do anything about this from the search plugins perspective. Let me know what they find, in case I need to do anything with the search plugin.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

synergy
    synergy
    Participant

Thanks Ernest,

Yet again quick and helpful!

I’ve passed your comments on to the support forum for the AdRotate plugin and will let you know when I get a response.

synergy
    synergy
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Here is the reply I got from the AdRotate developer:

I’m not familiar with ajax search plugins, but generally for an advert to (re)load you need to reload the page also. Such search plugins do not do that.

So rotation of adverts will be hindered a bit. Once loaded though, AdRotate is finished doing things. So your tab opening or random outputs are not likely something AdRotate does. Perhaps the advert you’re using. But logically not AdRotate since there is no AdRotate code running or being called at that point.

Hope this helps.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

He basically says that it’s most likely the AD itself is causing the issue there, because their plugin does not place those ad link codes there (as seen on the screenshot). It is most definitely not the search either, at least I don’t see how it would be possible.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

synergy
    synergy
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I’ve looked ad the screenshot you took more closely and the offending code items look like they are related to the ClickMeter links that I am using for the advert links.

Thanks,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Erratic behaviour of search function’ is closed to new replies.