Filter by Checkboxes – Improvements & Question

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Filter by Checkboxes – Improvements & Question

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tobyy
    tobyy
    Participant

Hello, thanks for this great plugin… the configuration possibilities are AMAZING!

i use custom taxonomies (checkboxes) to filter my search results.
    this works quiet well, but i have 2 suggestions for improvement:

A) The “Select All” Checkbox is always checked – even if the taxonomy terms are “Un-checked” by default.
    —> the “Select All” Checkbox should also be un-checked!

B) the label/text of the checkbox is not clickable right now
    that’s not very user friendly…

and now to my real question, let me explain:
    as an example: i have 2 taxonomies “Type of Car” and “Brands” to filter my search results.
    i would like to start with displaying ALL available cars when the page loads.
    As soon as a user clicks the “Brands” checkbox “Mercedes”, only Mercedes Cars are shown.

Right now this is only possible, if i have ALL other terms of ALL other taxonomies checked. so if i the user wants to narrow down his results, he first has to uncheck all checkboxes an then re-select his desired options. that’s bad usability to be honest, so my question is:

Q1) Can i tell the search to IGNORE a Taxonomy Filter if NO Checkbox is checked? (=DISPLAY ALL)
    Then i could start with all terms unchecked, and the results get narrowed down as soon as the user selects a checkbox – that’s how filtering usually works, i think.

Q2) Do you have a list of available hooks/action/filters of your extension available?

thanks for your help and this amazing plugin!
    kind regards
    tobias mussil

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Tobias,

Thank you very much for your kind words!

A & B – Very valid observations! I’ve noted both of these issues and already resolved for the upcoming release. Should be out by the end of this week.

Q1 – Short answer is no. The longer answer is maybe, but decent amount of work is probably required. Either a front-end script type of solution – like detecting if nothing is checked before the ajax request, check them, send the request and uncheck them after. ..or a back-end type of solution, using the ‘asp_query_args’ filter.

Q2 – There is a short (but incomplete) list within the plugin folder in the filters.txt file, also in the documentation here. And there is also a separate documentation about the asp_query_args filter.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.