iPhone 7 issue with links in search results

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support iPhone 7 issue with links in search results

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by NetBopJohn NetBopJohn 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NetBopJohn
    NetBopJohn
    Participant

Hi There,

We used your AJAX search Pro plugin on a site we built for a client and have been notified by them that there seems to be a minor issue in iPhone 7. We just wondered if this is a known issue or something new that has arisen due to the latest release of WordPress?

The search functionality works fine on desktop,/tablet, but intermittently on iPhone 7. When clicking a link in the search results it does not take you to the link destination but instead stays on the same page. Our client sent us a video which I have attached.

You can of course try it for your self by visiting https://www.giggaff.com/venues/ and clicking the big orange Find a Venue Now button.

Once you have clicked the button a lightbox opens with the searchbox inside.

In the searchbox, start typing the words No Sign or just No, this will reveal a result called ‘No sign bar’. Click on this search result. to take you to a page called ‘All Gigs at No Sign Bar’. When on iPhone 7 the link appears to not take you anywhere.

If you could shed some light so that we can inform the client then that would be fantastic.

Best Regards

John

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi John,

We are not aware of any link related issues, so this is something new.

However I was not able to replicate it. I only have an iphone 6 and 5s at the moment for testing, but it should not matter, as the safari browser is always the same across all iphone device versions.
    I tried exactly as you described, but clicking on the link takes me to the https://www.giggaff.com/venue/no-sign-bar/ page every time. Unfortunately the video was not uploaded, as there is a file size and extension limit for security reasons. You can still upload it to youtube or streamable if you want to.

I tried to check via the mobile console to see if there is any error or overlaying element, but everything seems to be clear there, no errors, no overlaying elements. nothing unfortunately. Does this issue happen on any other result, or only this one? Can you please try different searches to make sure? Thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

NetBopJohn
    NetBopJohn
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I have attached a link to the video we were sent, they are using iPhone 7. We have the same issues on iPhone 7 too (replicated on 2 iPhones).

This issue exists on all links in the search results not just the one I provided.

Here is the video link https://ufile.io/2ektc

Thanks for replying so swiftly.

Best Regards

John

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I’m not sure, maybe there is a 3rd party script that is conflicting somehow, perhaps the click event is interrupted by something, I honestly don’t know.

I think the best possible solution in this case is to try to override the click event via a custom code. Try adding this custom code to the functions.php in your theme/child theme directory. Before editing, please make sure to have a full site back-up just in case!

add_action('wp_footer', 'asp_add_custom_js', 99);
    function asp_add_custom_js() {
      ?>
      <script>
      jQuery(function($) {
        $('.asp_r').on('touchend', '.item', function(e){
           e.preventDefault();
           e.stopImmediatePropagation();
           $(this).find('a.asp_res_url').get(0).click();
        });
      });
      </script>
      <?php
    }

This might do the trick. Make sure to clear all layers of cache, including site, page, assets as well as the phone browser cache, otherwise it may have no effect.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

NetBopJohn
    NetBopJohn
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thank you so much – that seems to work 🙂

Thank you for all your help.

Best Regards

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.