Is there a way to use search parameters as conditional values?

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Is there a way to use search parameters as conditional values?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Keymaster
3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Participant

Hello, I’m wondering if there’s a way to use the search parameters as a conditional value. I want to display certain information in the results if certain parameters match. For example, I have a search parameter that is a custom field and is called ‘city’ and another called ‘zone’. I want to display an ad if city equals ‘A’ and zone equals ‘1’ and another if city equals ‘B’ and zone equals ‘2’ and so on. Is this possible?

I hope I made myself clear, thanks for any help.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  wikot.

Hi,

Well, there are a few hooks available, depending on how exactly you want to realize this. If you open wp-content\plugins\ajax-search-pro\includes\views\asp.shortcode.results.php you can see all of them. There are two that stand out, in case you want to place custom HTML there: asp_layout_before_results and asp_layout_before_first_result

For example, here is a custom function to parse the passed options to the $options variable. For example, test_field value should be in $options[‘aspf’][‘test_field_1’] variable.
    You can echo the custom HTML you need within that function:

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Participant

Hello, thanks for your answer.
    I think I’m very close but when I try your code and try a var_dump it returns empty, is there a step I’m missing?
    I don’t understand where is the search_id declared, is it inside the function? or is it given as a parameter? I’m a begginer with PHP, sorry.
    Other thing I saw when trying your code is that the HTML code I try to echo with the hooks, gets to the bottom of the page, after the visible area.
    What I want is to be able to do is to use an if statement like this:

if('field_name'=='value'){
    //HTML goes here}

Thanks again for the help.

Well, I had to do some testing to make a semi-working solution, and there might be a way to do it. This is not an easy task, because there is no simple syntax to compare values in a manner such as $field == ‘value’, because the plugin supports multi-instance/multi print layouts, that complicate this a lot.

Nevertheless, I have made the simplest possible solution, which produces a s text printed basically within the first result (but separately), which can be replaced with anything of course. It produces something like this: https://i.imgur.com/6pR6vB4.png

And the code is this:

The important bit is between the

// CONDITION 1 

and the

// CONDITION 1 END

lines (22-36).

Basically you can change the $field_name and the $value variables. Then the code will compare the custom field defined in $field_name with the value defined in $value variables.
    Then, between lines 31-33 a custom HTML is printed, that is visible on the screenshot as well. I recommend leaving lines 31 and 33 with the DIV element as they are, as it contain important styling to increase the z-index above the overlay of the first item.

You can also make copies of the code between CONDITION bit to make more different conditions with different outputs.

I am not sure how much this helps, but this is the simplest way I was able to get it working.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Participant

Thank you so much for the help, I ended up using jQuery to solve this since it was easier, but couldn’t have done it without your help.
    Now, I was wondering if there’s a way to move the magnifying glass to the end of the search boxes, like the attached image.
    Thanks again for the help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi,

Thank you, I am glad I was able to help you.

Well, there is a search button, that can be used as a filter, but that does not contain a magnifier icon. However, with some custom CSS + configuration, it might just be possible to change it to a magnifier.

This is what I was able to achieve: https://i.imgur.com/ifGeok2.png

And this is what I did:
    1. I used this configuration for the search button: https://i.imgur.com/gwab9xx.png
    2. + used this custom CSS to change the background to a magnifier & to hide the original magnifier:

/* Changing the search button to a magnifier */
    button.asp_search_btn.asp_s_btn {
        background-image: url('https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Antu_document-edit-verify.svg/512px-Antu_document-edit-verify.svg.png') !important;
        background-size: 20px !important;
        background-position: center !important;
        background-repeat: no-repeat !important;
    }

/* To hide the original magnifier */
    .promagnifier {
        display: none !important;
    }

This might be far from a final good solution, but definitely a good way to start 🙂

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Participant

Hello, thanks so much for your answer, it works well
    Sorry for being a pain. but I have another question, is there a way to sort the results alphabetically?

Hi!

You are welcome!

Well, there is no front-end filter (yet) for that, but you can change the fixed primary and secondary order on the back-end, under the General Options -> Ordering panel.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Participant

Hello, thanks so much for the answers, you’ve been of great help.
    Sorry to bother you again, but I was wondering if there’s a way to order the search results using this custom query:

$query->set( 'orderby', array(
    			'meta_value_num'=>'ASC',
    			'title'=>'ASC'
    		) );
    		$query->set('meta_key', 'contenido');
    	    }
    #'contenido' is a boolean custom field

I’ve tried to use it with the pre_get_posts hook combined the is_search() conditional but it doesn’t seem to work:
    Edit: I added an image of the query because the code isn’t being displayed correctly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  wikot.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hi!

This is not going to work in this case, as the search query is different from the default search query.

However, on the back-end, you can define an ordering by custom fields: https://i.imgur.com/HAJLJbK.png
    That should do the trick 🙂

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.