Large amount of PDFs with a lot of pages

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Large amount of PDFs with a lot of pages

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mSchwarz698
    mSchwarz698
    Participant

Hello,
    my client has up to 250 PDFs from 10 – 100 Pages. A couple have even 800 Pages. Is it possible to use the plugin anyway or will this destroy the database and performance of the whole website? I saw you can be patient with the indexing and just refresh the page and continue the indexing. But I will not even try to start the process if you say that this is way over the limit of this plugin.
    If so, do you have any other way to be able to search such large amount of data, or is it possible with your plugin to specify only maybe 10-15 PDFs with less pages for the index?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Malte Schwarz

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Malte,

Well, it is up to the server performance, but it could actually work. Once the keywords are in the database, it should be just fine. The problem can be the indexing process – it could take up a lot of CPU and RAM, regardless of how many pages are indexed, as the parser needs to open and decode the whole file either way.
    I think you should give it a try. There is an indexing throttle built-in to the plugin, so it waits between two operations for the server to “cool down”, and all files are indexed one by one as well.
    If you start seeing a lot of “error 500” or “bad request” errors on the site front page, or the server does not respond for a few minutes, then it probably can’t handle the files. In that case you can just simply delete the index.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

mSchwarz698
    mSchwarz698
    Participant

Alright.

Thank you for the super quick reply! I will try it. So if I delete the index, the database goes back to ‘normal’ ?

Thank you!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Yes, it will delete all the rows from the index table.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.