New item isn't Indexed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alcantaramaryann
    alcantaramaryann
    Participant

Hello again!

I think I found a bug. The dropdown results doesn’t return a value when I search for an SKU with a special character.
    This is the SKU I’m searching 2.643-150.0
    On the Results page you can see the item: Karcher Foam Nozzle, 0.3 Litre 300ml

Also this happens even I just search for the first five characters like “2.643”
    This doesn’t return any result on the dropdown.
    But on the Results page there are more than 10 products.

If this isn’t a bug can you explain why every time I added a new products it doesn’t show on the dropdown results until in Create a New Index.

Thank you!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

There are two reasons for this:

1. It’s because the dots “.” are treated as word boundaries and are replaced with an empty space.
    In this case the “2.643-150.0” is treated as “2 643-150 0”, thus 3 separate words: 2, 643-150 and 0
    If I search for 643-150 the product is returned as expected.

To be honest I never thought of this, but it makes sense to somehow detect dots which are not word boundaries. I will definitely look into this for the upcoming update. This shouldn’t be too complicated to figure out.

2. There is a recently discovered bug in the index table engine regarding versions from 4.7-4.8.1 where when adding new posts/cpt the custom fields are not indexed in some cases.

I already have a fix for bug 2. but it involves changing multiple files, so I can’t suggest an quick fix for that now. There are two solution I can offer:
    – Wait for the upcoming update within 1-3 days, it will fix both bugs (until then you can switch back to the regular engine, that should still work)
    – You can provide FTP details and I fix the second bug on your server, but yet I can’t fix the first one

Let me know!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

alcantaramaryann
    alcantaramaryann
    Participant

Thank you for your response!
    I think I’ll just wait for the new update to release.

alcantaramaryann
    alcantaramaryann
    Participant

Hello,

I have updated the plugin to version 4.8.2 and the bug for searching SKU custom fields with dash character is fixed.
    But I’m still having problem when the SKU contains () like this one: C18DSL(H4)
    It returns “No Result” in the dropdown result.

Can you provide some fix? Thank you very much!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I have left the brackets there intentionally, as I thought they might be dangerous yet. It turns out they are not. I’ve made a tiny modification on the plugin code on your server, so the “(” and “)” characters are not removed when indexing. Also, I’ve re-generated the index table, so it should return result for C18DSL(H4) now.

I will investigate more of these special characters for the upcoming version, so I can enable more.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

alcantaramaryann
    alcantaramaryann
    Participant

Hi!

I think there’s another special character that doesn’t return result.

When I search for the ff., it returns no result in the drop down result box.
    Gearwrench 3/8″ socket
    Gearwrench 3/ socket
    Gearwrench 8″ socket

The ” and / can’t be read as search value.

Can you provide some fix on this?

Again, thank you for your hard work!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

A new version will be out soon, I will look into this and fix if possible.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.