No results on frontend

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    thishandle
    thishandle
    Participant

When configuring Ajax Search Pro I am able to view results in the backend preview, but the frontend results are empty. This is on a local test installation that is not accessible through the internet. Why would this happen? I am using the shortcodes from the shortcode generator.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Well, without actually seeing the issue, it is hard to tell, but let me ask you a few questions:

– Does the loader spins, before displaying the results, or nothing happens when you try to search?
    – Are there any error messages in the browser error console, when reloading the page?
    – Are there any error messages on the screen, or within the server error log?
    – Are you using any custom code from the knowledge base or anywhere else within the functions.php file in your theme directory, that is related to the search?
    – Do you use WPML or Polylang or any other multi-language environment plugins?

Please let me know.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

thishandle
    thishandle
    Participant

– Does the loader spins, before displaying the results, or nothing happens when you try to search?
    The loader does not spin, clicking the search icon does nothing. Pressing the enter key seems to submit the search form and re-loads the page.

– Are there any error messages in the browser error console, when reloading the page?
    There are no errors in the error console.

– Are there any error messages on the screen, or within the server error log?
    There are no errors on screen or in the server error log.

– Are you using any custom code from the knowledge base or anywhere else within the functions.php file in your theme directory, that is related to the search?
    No

– Do you use WPML or Polylang or any other multi-language environment plugins?
    No

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

This sounds like a javascript related issue. Because it’s working in the preview, and there are no errors in the error console, I’m suspecting, that the plugin script is either not loaded properly, or the page is heavily cached and the plugin scripts are not queued.

The most likely issue is, that the plugin scripts aren’t loaded at all, and that only happens if:
    – Either the wp_footer() function call is missing before the closing body tag, in the footer.php file in the theme folder
    – ..or there is a fatal error somewhere on the page, after the plugin rendered, that prevents the footer from loading, thus causing missing script declarations

If you have a modified/custom made theme, then issue #1 is more likely, make sure to check the footer.php file for the wp_footer() call. Unnoticed/unreported fatal errors are usually caused by plugins, so disabling each one except the search could reveal that. Switching the theme temporarily rules out if the the issue is related to the theme.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.