Placeholder text shows up then goes away after the page is loaded

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Placeholder text shows up then goes away after the page is loaded

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ogle
    Paul Ogle Jr.
    Participant

I recently updated my theme to my website (Salient v9) however when I did it the ajax search bar’s (at the top of the page) ability to show placeholder text was compromised. I’m using a child theme. Now it briefly shows up when you first load the page, then quickly disappears. I’ve updated the plugin and even disabled all other plugins and it still happens. I tried other templates, and it seems to be an issue when using my child theme. I’ve updated the theme in the past and not messed with the child theme, but this is the first time I’ve seen this particular issue.

I copied over includes/header-search.php, search.php, and searchform.php from the parent theme (which works) to my child theme in an effort to see if that would fix it, but it didn’t. clearly, I’m missing something.

Do you have an idea of what the problem is, or how to fix it?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you for the details, it helps us a lot.

It is definitely a script doing that, as the placeholder value is completely unset after the page load is completed, I can see that in the console. I have downloaded the rendered front-end and tried to look for code traces where the placeholder might be altered, but I could not find any.
    I suspect it might not be only a placeholder related thing, but I am not able to tell, as there are no traces I could follow up on.

I suggest asking the theme author, I am positive he will know for sure, if it is a script built by them. The plugin does not have any active scripts that unsets the placeholder, so it must be something else – but unfortunately I could not find anything.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.