Problem with Ajax Search Pro and wpengine

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Problem with Ajax Search Pro and wpengine

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jpham
    jpham
    Participant

Implement Complicated Search
    Do you have a suggestion for how to implement Ajax Search Pro with this page? http://glidewelldental.com/?s=bruxzir
    We initially bought this plugin so that we could replace this search. We wanted to be able to use the keyword to search through tags and custom fields (which I haven’t figured how to do) and make the search faster.

We want one word to be typed in as the search or “s” variable, and then results are filtered based on tabs. Each tab basically serves as a filter based on custom post type or category (Services tab shows only posts that match the search keyword that are post type = service. Chairside Live shows only posts that match post type=”video” and category = “chairside live.”). Currently the page is running one custom query (new wp_query()) for each tab content. What is the best way to do this if any at all? Should we have several different search results? Also on different tab contents, the search results may take on a different layout.

Not working on WPEngine live site

We are also having an issue of activating the plugin. Our staging site, glidewell.staging.wpengine.com, it works fine, but on our live site http://www.glidewelldental.com, it doesn’t work, and we get this error:

Warning: require_once(/nas/content/live/glidewell/wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro//includes/classes/cache/imagecache.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/nas/content/live/glidewell/wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro/includes/classes/cache/cache.inc.php on line 4

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required ‘/nas/content/live/glidewell/wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro//includes/classes/cache/imagecache.class.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear’) in /nas/content/live/glidewell/wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro/includes/classes/cache/cache.inc.php on line 4

I’ve manually added the php files inside the cache folder of our testing site to our live site but it still doesn’t fix the error.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. Complex search

From what I can understand you want to integrate the plugin somehow with the existing layout and functionality.

You can simply just replace the search there with the plugin shortcode, and enable redirection to redirect the user when clicking the search button or hitting the return key. It will then open the same page, passing the search phrase as the normal search would.
    At the same time you can keep the ajax functionality when the user types into the search bar.

Deeper integration – like integrating the ajax results into the tabs separately, are only possible by customizing the plugin, probably a good amount of work.

2. Live site issue
    This is simply a missing file problem as the error indicates. Try checking the permissions as well on that file. Wrong permissions might lead to this error message. It is also possible that the copy was not complete (FTP is very unreliable) so deleting and re-copying the file should solve the problem.
    If that does not help, re-installing the plugin is the safest option, and it always helps.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

jpham
    jpham
    Participant

In that case, can we just get a refund on this?
    For the live site issue, i’ve already tried copying those files and even with them in the live site, it still breaks our site, yet whenever we deactivate or delete this plugin, the site is fine again.
    For the complex search issue, it sounds like it won’t be able to do what we wanted it to do, and I don’t see a better alternative using this plugin.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

1. It’s still only a missing file issue. The copy simply fails or there is a permission/ownership issue with the copy process. I’ve also seen hosts blocking certain files, so it might be that? The problem is not related to a plugin failure, simply the copy process fails for some reason. If changing permissions, checking file ownerships via SSH does not work, simply re-install the plugin, it usually clears these issues.

2. Unfortunately I cannot authorize a re-fund for this reason, I’m sorry.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

jpham
    jpham
    Participant

Ok I got the plugin to work on the live site, but can you suggest an alternative on how I can use Ajax Search Pro to do a page like this? http://glidewelldental.com/?s=bruxzir

Doesn’t have to be tabs, but I don’t know it well enough to use it for this search. Can I have buttons with custom search queries? (One button with post type videos, one button filters to post type videos and a specific category, etc.)

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I think I would leave the tabbed layout as it is currently, as it gives a nice separation of the results.

Then, instead of the search on that page, I would simply replace it with ajax search pro. It might require to change it within the theme, depending on how it’s designed. If the automatical replacement does no effect, then there is the PHP search shortcode for that, and in most cases the file the search form is placed is the search.php in the active theme directory. Unfortunately there is no exact tutorial for that, as it varies greatly for each theme out there.

Then, assuming ajax search pro is in place, I would change the behavior to automatically act as a simple search when the user hits enter or the search icon, but keep the ajax functionality for automatic quick suggestions if the user just types in a keyword: https://i.imgur.com/Fa7Qoby.png

I believe this is the closest way of merging the two together without getting into coding and possible conflicts.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.