Search is not coming up with all the products..

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search is not coming up with all the products..

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

I am noticing that some of the searches for keywords only pulls up some of the products, and not all of the relevant ones. For instance if you type “nissan frontier” all the products pop up it then if you type “nissan frontier air suspension” only one will pop up, when there are really 3 to 4 of them. Do you know why this may be happening?

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Well, it is very hard to tell via the front-end, but there are number of possible reasons:
    – If you have any exclusions set, under the Advanced Options -> Exclude/include results panel, check those, sometimes there is a category, tag or date range excluded
    – If there is any filter in use under the Frontend Search Settings panel. Even if the filters are not visible, they are still in effect if created! Make sure there are no filters enabled of any kind.
    – In case of using the index table engine, maybe the items are not indexed? That usually happens when the products are imported via a 3rd party tool, which does not trigger the post save hook, thus the plugins does not know a new item was added, and the indexing does not trigger.
    In this case, it is recommended to enable the index cron job, and re-create the index as well, so that the missing items are added.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

So I have checked everything and even rebuilt the index, it was running a cron job 2 times a day which I have moved to 1 time at this point. It is a very odd issue. So to explain I am going to use the product “2009-2013 NISSAN FRONTIER PLUG AND PLAY AIR SUSPENSION KIT”..
    If we ignore the years and just type either “nissan frontier air kit” or “frontier air kit” you would hope this would show up but it does not. Instead only one other product shows up, which are still relevant. we also have “2009-2013 NISSAN FRONTIER COMPLETE AIR SUSPENSION KIT” which does not show up using the term “frontier air suspension kit” you must use “frontier complete” and even then it is down the list a bit. Let me know what you think. No all the products are this difficult, but we have certainly noticed a few…

Thanks again for your help!!

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

I am thinking this has something to do with the keyword pool size? Can you confirm.. our database is 10k items right now and may grow another 5k, but want to ensure this will not become a problem.

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

I have now reverted back to the regular engine and everything works as it should.. There must be some sort of keyword density issue with the index, as it seems it will only read 5 words into the title? I only did a small amount of digging.. Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks,

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Thank you very much for all the details.

This might be indeed a pool size issue. What is the size of the index table (keywords count)?

There is a possibility that the result numbers for each keyword are bigger than the allowed pool size, thus possibly some results get ‘trimmed’. Based on the keyword count, I should be able to suggest a manual, optimal pool size, that will resolve the issue.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

the pool size currently is almost 1 million..

To be exact:
    Items Indexed: 9427 | Items not indexed: 0 | Total keywords: 812184

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

Also wanted to note that since we turned off the index in the general options the search is working great, and it is still fast.. is there a chance that it is still using the index, as before the index was created it was extremely slow to query..

Thanks again,

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Okay, that is very likely that the pool sizes need to be manually adjusted then.

Go to the index table options, and click on the Performance & Accuracy panel. Then, change the options there like so: https://i.imgur.com/j9zcjV9.png
    Save the options, and try the search again. If the results are still inaccurate, increase each field by 5000 each time. After some time, all of the expected results should come up. If the results are accurate, then you can lower the values gradually. The lowest values are better, as it caps the peformance.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

If you turn off the index table engine, then it will definitely use the regular engine for sure, it is not a cached option.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

That fixed it perfectly.. Should we even bother to adjust the numbers? It is running almost instantaneous..

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

Great Job Ernest, you have provided superior support.. We are working on a number of additional sites which will most certainly use this search.

Chris

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by x2ind x2ind.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster
    You cannot access this content. Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

One last questions and I think we are very good to go.
    Because we are using the index table, we have it setup to cron everyday, and re-index the added products.
    At the time for which this happens our server hangs (approximately 5:30 to 6pm CST) until it is reboot. I have noticed this over a 4-5 day period.. We have checked error logs, and performance analytics and it seems to tax the SQL processes quite a bit, but I never have any problems with it during a manual build of the index. The only way I was able to reference it to the index cron job is by turning the process off and waiting for the day to roll over at which point everything is fine, and we are now on day 4 with no issues.

Hope that makes sense. Happy holidays!

x2ind
    x2ind
    Participant

Oh yes, I can certainly open a new one.. No problem, it is a different issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.