Search logic

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    terriz
    terriz
    Participant

I’m not understanding the search logic (and I’ve studied the documentation page on it thoroughly.)

General Options > Sources
    Regular engine
    Search in posts > on
    Search in titles > on
    all others off

General Options > Logic and Behavior
    Primary keyword logic: And
    Show exact matches only? Off

Front-end search settings > General
    Default checkboxes
    Show exact matches selector? > on
    Show search in title selector? > on
    Show search in content selector? > on
    comments/excerpt off

So when I go to my homepage, and click the selector icon,
    Exact match > not checked
    Search in title > checked
    Search in content > not checked

As expected. So, with the above default settings, I search for “pass”. I’d expect to get posts with titles that have words containing “pass” in them.
    I get 36 results. Most have the word Passions in the title, but at least one has the exact word, pass. Makes sense.

I pull down the selector and select Exact matches. Now I’d expect to get only those posts with the word “pass” in them. But I get all 36 posts, including those with the word “passion” but not just the word “pass” in them!

I thought it might be because of my Secondary logic being set to OR. So I changed that to disabled – and I get the same result.

So, the “exact matches” selector does not seem to be working…or I’m not understanding it.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

The exact matches does not work like that, mostly because of the limitations on how the information is stored. Word boundaries cannot be reliably detected within the database, so there is no possibility to use exact matches that way.

Exact matching is more useful in scenarios where the user types in more than 1 keyword. Exact matching means in this case, that the phrases are not separated, but treated as one, and matched against the database content.

If you want exact word matching, then my suggestion would be:
    1. Configuring and enabling the index table engine first. This step is vital, as it allows detecting word boundaries in a better way, without putting much load on the database itself.
    2. Using the following logic configuration: https://i.imgur.com/WWtF9tx.png
    You can even try without the secondary locig, if you have lots of records in the database.

This will make sure to match exact words, if no matches, then randomly, but all words must match in both cases.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.