Search results not working beyond 3 pages…

Home Forums Product Support Forums Ajax Search Pro for WordPress Support Search results not working beyond 3 pages…

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

I’m having issues although I can’t say if this is isolated to the latest version. All search results are returning a maximum of 3 pages worth of results even though some terms have many, many more entries.

I have got the ‘LIMIT’ set to 5000 on the ‘search page’ setting and have ensured my pool sizes etc are large enough for the amount of content we have.

I have cleared all available caches and tested in an incognito tab. Can you help recover the missing results.

Here is a link to test, as you can see from the pagination there are many more pages but the result list is being restricted to 36 results, clicking on page 4 or beyond returns a ‘page not found’

https://tpet.co.uk/page/3/?s=resource

Update: The issue seems to be with the ‘index engine’ switching back to the regular engine makes the results appear as expected, however the regular engine is not as good and is much, much slower on our website.

Please let me know how we can hope to rectify the issue with the index engine.

(Setting and instance exports below…)

Export of settings for our search instance:

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ernest Marcinko Ernest Marcinko. Reason: Moved the export to a file
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed description. I have tried to replicate the issue on our ends with similar configuration, but no luck, everything works as supposed to. I will have to debug this directly, as the exact same setup (post types, posts, number of posts etc..) we can not replicate as-is. The issue can be a conflict of some sort, or an unknown bug as well.

Can you please add temporary FTP and back-end details, so I can both change the plugin files by adding debug queries, as well as change the search settings temporarily if needed?
    Thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

Thankyou for your reply. Unfortunately, due to the data we hold (school and children’s data) we are under strict restrictions on allowing access to our systems I’m afraid under data protection and other applicable laws.

I am happy to work with you on this, I understand it may take longer but I am a developer and comfortable with modifying PHP etc.

Many thanks.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I understand. Do you happen to have any other (perhaps test) servers, where the same issue is present and can be replicated?
    Without access for debugging, there is nothing I can do unfortunately. If I had at least an idea where to look for the issue, I would suggest an edit, but it needs to be identified, then a lot of testing etc..

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

Thanks for your response, unfotunately not.

Would it be possible to get a copy of some of the older versions? If I can isolate when the bug started to occur then it may help us locate any code changes between versions that caused the issue.

I will look into pushing the site out onto a staging server but in the meantime, access to older versions would certainly help.

Many thanks.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

We are not storing builds of older releases, everything is on a version control network, and each release is built from the current live branch. I would have to roll back the whole build server to build previous releases for every version built. Rolling back will also cause a lot of data inconsistency issues – as non-existent options, renamed data fields etc.. will cause more problems under the hood.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I have rolled back to version 4.21.5 which I had randomly kept the zip archive for, this has fixed the issue and the search is working as expected.

Understandably I do not want to be using such an old version but hopefully knowing that this version works may halp you potentially isolate any code changes that could have caused the issues.

Many thanks

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Thank you for letting me know, I will make a diff view from possible suspected code parts, to see if I can find anything.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

Thanks Ernest, if you need me to test any builds/files please let me know.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

I might be onto something, but this is only a wild guess. I have found a possible change, which may cause the problem, and I managed to replicate something similar in a very specific scenario.

Can you please try to install the attached version, to see if it changes anything in the behavior?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

Hi Ernest,

I have uploaded that build, initial testing is promising, no more ‘page not found’ errors. I’ll continue testing and let you know if any other issues arise, otherwise; Thankyou!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Great! Please let me know if you see anything weird.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant

A few days of testing and for the most part everything seems good, on a few searches however the results per page is incorrect, displaying 15 results instead of 16. Only on some searches though…

This one currently has the issue: https://tpet.co.uk/page/2/?s=sentence+types

Many thanks,

Jason

flashjunkie
    flashjunkie
    Participant
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Can you try setting the posts per page option to 16 here: https://i.imgur.com/BvWRL6a.png
    Let me know if that changes anything.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.