Showing Parents Category

This topic contains 34 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by toro toro 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    toro
    toro
    Participant

I want to show search bar like on this page :

http://yts.to/browse-movies/0/all/all/0/latest

How can i set up a drop down with set every category (Quality, Genre, Order By) ?

Thank You
    Regards

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Drop-downs are only available for custom field selectors, category (or any taxonomy term) selectors are available only as checkboxes.

You can read more about custom field selectors in the documentation: http://wpdreams.gitbooks.io/ajax-search-pro-documentation/content/frontend_search_settings/custom_field_selectors.html

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

toro
    toro
    Participant

Hi Ernest

But how i can serve 3 categories Parent with child on search ? i dont see any option to show multiple categories parent ID.

Genre = Action, Adventure
    Year = 2000,2001,2002

Cause when i use wpdreams_asp_setting code, it show 2000,2001,2002,Action,Adventure,Genre, Year
    and it really ugly format because all category (parent and child) is become one

Kind Regards

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Because there is no option for that yet. WordPress stores all the categories and taxonomy terms on the same table, so it’s extremely hard to make a hierarchy if both taxonomy terms and categories are supported.

I’m working on a release where I was able to solve this on the back-end yesterday, but the front-end is yet to come. So please hang on, it’s going to be possible one way or another. I’m working this weekend as well to be able to release version 4.1, where this should be solved.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

toro
    toro
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Thank You for your fast response answer.
    Actually i buy this plugin to achieve that goals, and really glad read that you working on it this weekend.
    taxonomy term is really dificult to understand for a newbie like me, and it more easier when just need to insert “id” since it just a number, its like plugin Widgets Reloaded (for showing category bar) by Justin Tadlock to showing a categories with many options like exclude and others but more easy to understand.

I really like your plugin and hopefully i can use it when new version 4.1 is release with new feature i need.

Would you mind when it release, inform me by reply this post?

Thank You Ernest and Have a Great Weekend
    Kind Regards

toro
    toro
    Participant

Hi Ernest

Hope you have a good news
    Can i ask when new release update with this filter categories is release ?
    I wait every day Bud, want to use this purchased plugin immediately

Kind Regards

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

I’m sorry, not ready yet. I was getting too many support tickets, it’s slowing me down greatly.

I’m just as eager to release it ASAP, but any mistake or bug costs me 10 times of work, I hope you understand that.

Once I finish every feature, I attach a pre-test working version here for you, because the testing, uploading, validating process may take a while on codecanyon as well. I’m hoping for today evening, or tomorrow noon.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

toro
    toro
    Participant

I see Ernest,
    Keep up the good work mate!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

Good news! I’ve managed to put together a (hopefully) working copy of the partially ready upcoming version.
    I’ve implemented a way to display categories hierarchically. For now it looks like this: https://i.imgur.com/apreacq.png

It respects category exclusions, as well us multi-level hierarchy. I’m going to add a few options like level-margin, parent-child exclusions and do some more tests to verify every possible use case.

For now, I’m attaching this version to this post. Before installing:

0. (optional, but recommended) – make a copy of your whole site including database. Just to make sure everything is all right.
    1. Please make a copy of the current search plugin files, which is located in the wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro folder
    2. Deactivate & delete the current plugin version via. the plugin manager
    3. Download & install the attached one
    4. If something doesn’t work try the safe update steps: http://wpdreams.gitbooks.io/ajax-search-pro-documentation/content/
    5. If still doesn’t work, then let me know if there are any error messages or logs.

I’m hoping it’s going to work though.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

toro
    toro
    Participant

Its a good news Ernest

Let me try and report to you if its works flawless or there are some issue.

Thanks mate!

toro
    toro
    Participant

Already tried new version, exclude categories is a good feature but it will perfect if this plugin can show a filter by categories ID on divide layout like on this page http://yts.to/browse-movies/0/all/all/0/latest
    and not stick with a long list of all categories.

several important point:
    a) Options for Uncheck All / Check All when showing categories. (default is check all)

b) Change change the way to showing categories to become a dropdown function.

c) Showing search Filter based on categories ID or Custom Categories like on http://yts.to/

Those above is a important feature, because bought this plugin to showing custom search function to help a visitor find they want with easy way.

If i need only search widget to showing on every page such on http://yts.to/, its enough. But when i put this plugin only on content page such i need show more detail search function on that page like on http://yts.to/browse-movies/0/all/all/0/latest

Thank You Ernest
    Hopefully you can solve this soon.

Kind Regards
    Caleb

toro
    toro
    Participant

Hello

Any respond for this ticket?

Regards

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

a. A category is unchecked if it’s excluded on the Advanced options panel. It’s the best case use, since you can give the user the option to include the posts from a certain category, even if it’s excluded.

b. Going to happen eventually, perhaps in the next update. Checkboxes and dropdowns work very differently on server perspective, and the current state of code is made exclusively on check-box versions.

c. I’m not sure about this.

Grouping to dropdowns based on parent categories – I’m not sure if this is going to be a feature, because of taxonomies. To define a group, wordpress offers using taxonomies, which is well supported core feature. In your case “Year”, “Genre” should be the taxonomies containing the terms (categories).

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

toro
    toro
    Participant

There are a issue when use exclude category, i try exclude 1 category to exclude, and result is “not found” even i use only 3 character to trigger search.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Is the post in that category? If so, then it is excluded.

The default behavior of category selectors is an “AND” logic – “don’t match any excluded”
    You can change this to an “OR” on the General Options -> Behavior panel, which translates to “Match any of not-excluded”.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.