Various questions

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Miguel Miguel 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Hello,

after installing and testing your plugin for a few hours, these are my questions.

1.- I would like to create a search method based in two steps, a 1st step with a fast and short search form (3 or 4 settings maximum) and then this search form would redirect visitors to a results page with another search form that will be used to filter the results shown in that page. Is this possible?

2.- Can the AUTO POPULATE option be configured to display default results based on a CATEGORY or TAG or CUSTOM POST instead of “random results, later results or phrase”?

3.- When using isotopic results, I get the results gallery ABOVE the search settings, but I would like to get the search results BELOW the search settings. Can this be done?

I’ve searched all the support documents and was not able to find the answer to these questions, so they probably can’t be done but I would appreciante your opinion and advice.

Best regards,
    Miguel.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Miguel!

1. It’s only doable, by using the same search instance on the results page as well. Using different search instances will yield different results, as it is not possible to pass them from one to another, and the selected options will be reset as well. While using the same search the settings are memorized as well.

2. The auto populate will respec the selected filters. I believe the closest possible solution is to set the filters as you need them initially, then configure the auto populate for an empty search phrase: https://i.imgur.com/TerfYGT.png

3. If you mean in hovering mode (default), the results display above the settings, then you can change their z-indexes under the theme options panel here: https://i.imgur.com/XHYAYN9.png
    The higher z-index is displayed on top of the other.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

If you like my products, don't forget to rate them on codecanyon :)

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Hi Ernest!

Thanks for your answers, the same now as with my pre sales questions. Very nice service. Regarding the answers:

1. How can I use the same search instance so it can keep the search settings memorized? Sounds very much like the solution I need.

2. Clear, thanks!

3. Clear, thanks!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. You could either use a search widget, or the shortcode within the results page. Some page builders allow adding a shortcode block there, for other themes you might have to edit the search.php file in the child theme/theme directory. In that case the PHP version of the shortcode must be used.
    Once you have that in place, make sure to enable the search override, and it will pass the results and the option states to the results page. That’s it πŸ™‚

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Awesome!!

I did it but I am getting this error, do you know why it can be?

Thanks!

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /homepages/15/d763814640/htdocs/infotandas/wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro/includes/classes/etc/class-asp_helpers.php on line 75

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

You are welcome!

I had to investigate that error in more details, as I was not able to replicate it even on sandbox servers. Finally on an online PHP simulator and a stack overflow thread helped to understand what is going on there. Long story short, new PHP versions with a very specific configuration throw a warning when trying to type-check numeric variables, before using them. It does not cause any issues, the error is informative, the code still runs. Interestingly this was not the case previously, in fact this type conversion was the suggested method, for some reason it does not like it now.

Anyways, if you want to get rid off the error permanently, you can replace one of the plugin files manually:
    – Open up the wp-content/plugins/ajax-search-pro/includes/classes/etc/class-asp_helpers.php file on your server
    – Replace it’s contents with this
    – Save & that’s it

I will of course include this fixed version in the upcoming release.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Thanks Ernest for the awesome service. I indeed uploaded your file and the error is gone. Thanks!

I have one last question, if you please to answer when you can πŸ™‚

I am using your plugin on a sidebar widget format SCreenshot

Then with a SEARCH button the user is redirected to a new results page
    Results page screenshot

Some of the events, created with “The Events Calendar” have been marked as FEATURED but they don’t appear different to the others on the results page. Is there a way to show differently the featured EVENTS to the rest of the normal events?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Miguel.

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for your kind words!

Unforrunately the plugin cannot effect the results page display/layout, it only pushes the results there. I believe the only way to that is to make changes within the theme/child theme files. You should probably ask the theme author, he might know quick way of doing that.

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Perfect Ernest. Do you think the “start date” and “end date” parameters could be placed one next to each other in the sample I sent you instead of above and below? Or is that a theme thing too?

Also I would like to be able to configure the date picker colors, but did not find anyway to do it except via CSS. Can it be configured somehow easier?

Thanks!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi,

The colors are inherent from the theme, so using custom CSS in this case is the only option. Positioning the date filters next to each other might be possible as well via custom CSS, I am not sure.
    Can you link me to a page where I could see this? I might be able to construct a custom CSS for you via the browser dev tools. Thank you!

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant
    You cannot access this content.
    Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi Miguel,

Thank you very much.

Try the custom CSS below for the date picker fields, it should result in something like this.

.asp_sb.asp_sb_5 fieldset.asp_custom_f:nth-of-type(4) {
        margin: -40px 0 0 90px !important;
        min-width: 0 !important;
        background: white;
        min-width: 0 !important;
    }

.asp_sb.asp_sb_5 fieldset.asp_custom_f:nth-of-type(4) input {
        max-width: 67px !important;
    }

It is sort of a hacky way, but it should still work. Which parts of the date picker colors would you like to change?

Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Hi Ernest! Your hack worked great, I just have some comments about it so you can help me if possible πŸ˜€

1.- Looks like the last number is cut, maybe it should be a little wider to the right. Also left box looks a little above than right box. See here, I changed background color to see easier. It would be nice to repair if possible πŸ™‚

2.- The date picker should look as it looks here, but I did these changes on a super unprofessional way, just changing color codes on the PHP, so on the next plugin update…it will go back to the colors it had (blue).

3.- I would like, if possible, change the background color of the field to the same grey as tabs above it.

4.- Would it be possible NOT to show default dates on the date picker before user selection? Would be so much better to show FROM and TO (in Spanish “Desde” and “Hasta”) That would make readers more attracted to click. Adding a small calendar icon there would be top notch. I think this would be an interesting addition to your plugin, not only for me.

5.- Now the lower margin between dates section and custom fields section “Elige region o circuito” is too big, could it be closer to the dates above?

You can see points 3, 4 and 5 here.

I know all of these requests are far from the support you are supposed to provide here and I will understand if you say no πŸ™‚ so whichever the case is, thank you very much for your help until this point.

Have a nice day!

Ernest Marcinko
    Ernest Marcinko
    Keymaster

Hi!

1. Try increasing the max-width property on the second CSS rule, that should do the trick for the cut-off number. For the top position, change the margin within the first rule, the first number from -40px to perhaps -41px.

2. Using custom CSS is the best option here as well. I have constructed some custom CSS rules, that may help you with changing the attributes:

/* Datepicker container */
    .asp-ui {
        background: white !important;
    }

/* Datepicker header */
    .asp-ui .ui-widget-header {
        background: #f07f19 !important;
    }

/* Datepicker weekday boxes */
    .asp-ui .ui-state-default {
        background: rgba(204, 108, 18, 0.09) !important;
    }

/* Datepicker weekend day boxes */
    .asp-ui .ui-datepicker-week-end a {
        background: rgba(121, 90, 61, 0.09) !important;
    }

3. See previous point.

4. This is unfortunately not possible without major modifications/custom code I’m afraid.

5. This should somehwat resolve that:

.asp_sb.asp_sb_5 fieldset.asp_custom_f:nth-of-type(5) {
        margin-top: 0 !important;
    }
    Best,
    Ernest Marcinko

Miguel
    Miguel
    Participant

Hi Ernest!

Thanks for your answer, I applied your changes and now it looks great πŸ˜€

The only point I think I did not explain myself well is the background color for the date field before opening date picker itself. I would like to have it with the same dark grey as the tabs above it.

4.- I could ask WP Kraken but…I’d rather pay you as the author of an awesome plugin. So let me know if you would do it and how much would it cost. If you don’t want then I will ask them πŸ™‚

Thanks for all your help!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Miguel Miguel.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.